Discover Dawsonville & Georgia’s Racing History
Atlanta Motorsports Park is located just a short drive outside of Metro Atlanta, in the beautiful wooded hills of Dawsonville, Georgia. Known for its long tradition in the American Auto Racing industry, Dawsonville is home to NASCAR legend Bill Elliott, who won the Winston Cup championship in 1988 and was inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame in 2015. The famed driver’s son, Chase Elliott, has also grown into a racing icon himself and has been named NASCAR’s most popular driver for two consecutive years in the Xfinity Series.
There are variety of hotels in the immediate vicinity of Atlanta Motorsports Park. Among your options is the Amicalola Falls Lodge, a stunning lodge featuring an astonishing view directly over the state park and a wide selection of accommodations including an executive suite and individual bedroom cabins.
Things To Do in Dawsonville, GA
Visit Atlanta Motorsports Park and spend the day viewing attractions around Dawsonville. There are many different outdoor activities, landmarks, and excursions for your leisure time before or after your race. Here are our favorite activities in and around the area:
Museums & History
- Georgia Racing Hall of Fame Museum: Learn more about the history of motorsports by taking a trip to this one-of-a-kind museum, which includes famous racing memorabilia and a huge collection of vintage racecars.
- The Dawsonville Pool Room: For a taste of Dawsonville’s racing history, stop by one of the area’s top-rated restaurants for a delicious burger and fries. The restaurant is home to the largest collection of memorabilia based on Bill Elliott’s NASCAR career.
- Dawson County Historic Jail & Courthouse: Built in 1881, this old-time jailhouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Take a self-guided tour through old prison cells and learn more about the history of Georgia’s criminal justice system.
- Dawsonville Moonshine Distillery: Learn more about Dawsonville’s history in the moonshine industry. Take a tour of the distillery to see how moonshine is made and taste their distinctive collection of premium spirits.
- Bowen Center for the Arts: This non-profit organization is the heart and soul of Dawsonville’s arts community. Visit their center for beautiful art exhibits and photography shows. You can even join them for art lessons throughout the year.
- Holly Theatre: Located in Dahlonega, the Holly Theatre first began showing silent films in 1915. Since then, the theater has grown into a regional icon for music and theatrical productions. View the Holly Theatre’s calendar of upcoming plays and concerts.
- Burt’s Farm: Ready to visit the pumpkin patch or ride Georgia’s most famous hay ride? Stop by Burt’s Farm for the greatest Fall extravaganza, where you can enjoy the cool weather and changing colors with the entire family.
- Gibbs Gardens: From beautiful japanese ponds to colorful waterlily ponds, Gibbs Gardens is top tourist destination in the southeast. Tour the 292-acre botanical garden for hours to see rolling hills, streams, and millions of flowers.
- Chestatee Golf Club: Take a break from your busy schedule and play a round of golf with family or friends. The beautifully-manicured course has stunning views of the North Georgia landscape and top-notch facilities.
- Lake Lanier: Dawsonville is part of the vibrant Lake Lanier community, so it’s easy to go fishing, sailing, boating, rafting, waterskiing or more. From boat rentals to public dock areas, Lake Lanier has it all so that you can enjoy a relaxing day on the lake.
- Uncle Shuck’s Corn Maze: Ready for Fall? Uncle Shuck’s is home to Georgia’s most popular corn maze. You can even try the Haunted Corn Maze if you’re up for it.
- Amicalola Falls State Park: To experience the true beauty of North Georgia, hike through Amicalola Falls State Park. With beautiful waterfalls and bubbling streams, this is the perfect place to enjoy nature. The park is just a few short miles from the start of the Appalachian Trail.
Wineries & Vineyards:
- Wolf Mountain: With stunning views of the North Georgia mountains, Wolf Mountain offers an excellent food selection and award-winning wine menu. Taste great wines made right here in Georgia.
- Montaluce Winery: One of the most famous wineries in Georgia, Montaluce offers fine wines from some of the southeast’s most celebrated winemakers. Schedule your wine tasting and relax on the beautiful Tuscan architecture.
- More: There are more than a dozen wineries within a 1-hour drive of Dawonsville. Nearly all of them offer an exceptional selection of wine tastings and vineyard tours. Visit multiple wineries to find the location and wine varieties you like best.
- North Georgia Premium Outlet Mall: One of Georgia’s top-rated outlet malls is located right here in Dawsonville, Georgia. Go shopping at over 140 stores, featuring designer clothing brands, household products, technology, and more.
- Dawsonville Antiques: With over 3,000 square feet of vintage furniture and collectibles, take a stroll through this enormous antique shop to find undiscovered treasures. Take a piece of history with you or save big on your next purchase with Dawonsville’s vibrant antiques market.
Arriving at AMP is as easy as snapping your fingers. Nearby travel hotspots include a regional airport, a helipad, and it only takes a comfortable drive to get to AMP from Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson Airport.